Friday, October 21, 2011

Worthy remembrance


If I wasn't so sick, I would jump up and shout to the world that I have almost reached my goal in less than a month (or will reach it by the end of this month). However, I'm extremely sick and may fall out. There is a cold bug going around and it has the strength of Manny Pacquiao and my system seems to be afraid to go glove to glove with it as if it was Mayweather. However, that hasn't stopped me from continually looking straight forward when it comes to my overall health.

I've been cycling about 2 miles or more everyday, I am officially a vegetarian again. I feel great! Cycling is truly medicinal for me. I love the time to myself, I love to people watch, meditate, and see clearly how I need to organize my life....at times. The bowl of wind, birds singing in the distance, the neighborly leaves keeping me company with their chatter, makes me think. All the beauty of the physical world that is removed from human habitation makes me wonder why it can hardly allow them to mirror such sereneness.

Speaking of which, today as I was riding and seasoning my mind, I couldn't come up with the reason why EMPATHY is such a hard quality for humans to digest. It's as if they are trying to digest a 72oz steak. Maybe if we all had the same shoe sizes the world would be so much different. I would be willing to give my old, dilapidated, antiquated Reebok's for someone to walk in. The ride took me back to a recent incident where EMPATHY WAS LACKING.

One should become aware of what they are actually feeling -- to acknowledge, identify, and accept their feelings. Only then can they empathize with others. That is one reason it is important to work on your own emotional awareness and sensitivity-- in other words, to be "in touch with" your feelings.

Life is too short and misunderstandings can have a pernicious effect on a much needed smile. Until then, keep striving for good health, avoiding indifferences, and meditating on continued change.


Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution-Kahlil Gibran

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be safe to say that most people confuse "empathy" with "sympathy."

    Worse yet they see being empathic towards a person as being only a stone's throw towards from being sympathetic towards another's plight.

    And why would so many people resist helping their fellow man? Because they refuse to extend the kindness that they automatically assume that should be there for them in their moment of need.

    Jesus taught this same lesson in the parable of the "Good Samaritan". The moment we are actually tasked with making our ethics more than the words we speak, we have the tendency to fail miserablly.

    This speaks volumes about the persons sense of worth, ethics and especially their humanity. We can never know how we are going to proceed until we are faced with adversity, but it is safe to say that we would all like a helping hand if we were between life and death.

    But are we willing to do the same for the next person?

    ReplyDelete